8.19.2014

Simple Brow Tutorial




It's refreshing to start writing on the blog again. I was in a bit of a rut so I haven't been posting as often as I'd like to, but I'm back with a super simple tutorial on my favorite feature to make up, BROWS! I use only one product for the whole routine so you don't have to shell out on a kit or brow gel. This is what I do everyday, so if you want a more dramatic look you can add darker shades, gel, or concealer to beef it up!


Here she is, my HG brow product, Anastasia Beverly Hills Brow Whiz pencil in Brunette. It's the perfect color for me right now and it has a grooming brush on the other end that's really convenient and better than my stand alone brow spoolies. The formula is hard enough so that you don't apply too much but smooth enough to easily brush over if you do. You can always use a cheaper alternative but make sure that you have a spoolie handy, it's just as important of a tool as your pencil!



Here are my bare brows (& lips, oops!), they're really thin and sparse but I keep their shape fairly full so that when I fill them in, they have a bolder look. See how my face looks a little washed out and unfinished? Brows give you structure and some life back to you when you're wearing a full face of makeup. Especially if you wear winged liner, dramatic eyeshadow, or a bright lip color, brows are important to balance everything out.


First thing you want to do is line the lower part of your brow to give it some definition. It acts as a starting guide and is the part of your brow that you really want to emphasize. Use light strokes to make it look natural and hair-like, and start from the middle working your way to the arch. You can follow my handy little doodle as a guide. Brush the product out and use whatever is left on the spoolie on the front part (closet to your nose). You want this area to be the lightest because the hair in this area is naturally more sparse.


Here's how it should look right now, with most of the product at the end and brushed through at the front. 


Now do the same thing to the top. I usually make even lighter strokes in this area to make it look natural and I brush through more often. I like to define the tail of the brow a little more at this step.


Now fill in the areas that need some help. Follow the direction of your hair growth and keep using light strokes, you want it to look natural and not overdone. My doodles show the way my hair grows and which areas I like to concentrate on when I'm filling them in. Brush your brows to deliver the product evenly to make the strokes look seamless.


And your done! Well this is fun...here's the right side of my face, not my good side! But my right brow is the better looking sister! I like my arch a little more angled and the tail defined, while keeping the front part lightly filled in with barely any shape to it so it's not harsh. Like I said earlier, you can clean up the edges with concealer or keep your brows in place with a little gel, but I keep it really simple for my everyday look. I hope you enjoyed this little tutorial on my brow routine. Let me know in the comments if you want to see any other tutorials that I can take a crack at. And tell me what's your favorite brow product! Thanks again for visiting, I really appreciate your support!